Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Guy..sort of

I had an interesting thing happen today..

An old guy "friend" I used to fool around with walked in today as a new employee at my company. We met each other through mutual acquaintances several years ago before I was married. He on the other hand was married at the time and still looks to be so.. Our relationship was completely secret and what I thought of as a friend with benefits..we met occasionally when convenient for both of us and just had fun together. He was definitely what I considered one of my favorites guy friends. Very cute-clean cut-awesome body.

The thing is..when we made eye contact..he visibly hesitated and then adverted his eyes from me. We didn't speak at all. I am a little unsure of that reaction..I understand..but I feel we were fairly close for that period of time and wouldn't have expected that reaction from him.

I am debated how to approach him or if I should at all..since my presence made him feel obviously uncomfortable.

Any thoughts??

5 comments:

  1. He must be afraid that your past activity is going to adversely affect his new job there. It would be nice if you can find a private opportunity to welcome him and assure him it won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Brian.

    A less direct approach is to be friendly and open without bringing up the past. A least until he's had a little time to get comfortable. Then maybe an offer to go to lunch? I prefer the slow approach myself because when people are already uncomfortable and you get direct with them there's a greater chance they'll panic a little and shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Brian and TwoLives gave such good advice, I'll just say "Good Luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys..

    I decided to wait it out a little. We don't work directly with each other so it will be difficult to talk to him alone..unless I stalk him at work..which I don't plan on doing. I'll let him see that I will not expose him just by giving him space. I personally wouldn't want some dude hanging on me and bringing up old shit that I might be trying to forget.

    If I get a moment alone with him..I will make sure he knows we are cool and not to worry about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awkward moment eh?!

    I'm interested to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete